There is a new Central NHS Computer System called the Summary Care Record (SCR). It is an electronic record which contains information about the medicines you take, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had.
Why do I need a Summary Care Record?
Storing information in one place makes it easier for healthcare staff to treat you in an emergency, or when your GP practice is closed.
This information could make a difference to how a doctor decides to care for you, for example which medicines they choose to prescribe for you.
Who can see it?
Only healthcare staff involved in your care can see your Summary Care Record.
Do I have to have one?
No, it is not compulsory. If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete a form and bring it along to the surgery. You can use the form at the foot of this page.
For further information visit the NHS Care records website or the HSCIC Website
Click here to download the opt out form
Adding important information to your NHS Summary Care Record
You already have a Summary Care Record (SCR)
Your SCR has important information about your health in it:
- Medicines you take
- Allergies you have
- Any medicines that make you ill
You might need to see a doctor or nurse who does not know you. If they do not know about your care, your SCR could:
- Stop them making a mistake, because they can see your medicines, allergies or what medicines make you ill
- Help them see your information straight away on a computer
Doctors and nurses treating you will ask if they can look at your SCR to help them treat you quickly and safely.
You can choose
You can choose to have other useful information added to your SCR, including:
- Your illnesses and any health problems
- Operations and vaccinations you have had in the past
- How you would like to be treated - such as where you would prefer to receive care
- What support you might need
- Who should be contacted for more information about you
What to do next
If you think you want to add other useful information to your SCR, talk to your GP practice. They will add it to your SCR and keep it up to date for you
If there is information you don’t want adding, let your GP practice know
For more information
Talk to staff at your GP practice
Call 0300 303 5678